Duration & Location
1 days - online and onsite*
*min of 8 for onsite delivery
This course is designed to be of benefit to business analysts, project managers, project team leaders and general business staff.
Arguably the most vital partnership in the project world is the partnership between the project manager and the sponsor. Unfortunately, the project manager-sponsor partnership is the one most often described through gnashed teeth. The good news is… it doesn’t have to be this way!
This workshop will examine different sponsorship and governance approaches, the pros and cons of each, and how to tailor the project management approach for each of these sponsorship schemes. Attendees will work through an assessment of the degree of trust and sponsorship knowledge that resides with the sponsor, and what to do as a result. The workshop presents the project manager-sponsor partnership as a process, and addresses the pitfalls and strengths that a process approach can surface. How to create the sponsorship process at the start of the project and how to recover a sponsorship process that is failing is a major focus of the workshop.
At the forefront of a successful sponsorship approach is an effective decision making process. This workshop concludes with an examination of various successful decision making schemes and the customization of a personalized sponsorship management worksheet that attendees can apply in their workplace.
Key Learning Objectives
- examine various sponsorship schemes and their pros and cons
- learn to view the project manager-sponsor partnership as a process
- understand the challenges facing project sponsors
- assess and manage the level of trust that exists with your sponsor
- assess and manage the sponsorship knowledge that exists with your sponsor
- discuss ways to establish a solid sponsorship relationship early in the project
- explore ways in which a troubled sponsorship relationship can be recovered
- examine, evaluate and customize a sponsor management approach for your workplace